Easter is only a few days away and for most people that means chocolate, chocolate and you guessed it chocolate! I’ve been really bad with my diet these past few weeks and I’ve even fallen down the dairy rabbit hole, I’m Lactose intolerant and dairy doesn’t not agree with me even though it tastes so good especially when it comes in the form of a marshmallow Easter egg, so I created a delicious, healthy, raw chocolate cake to snack on.
This Raw Chocolate Cake is perfect for Vegans, Lactose intolerant humans like myself and anyone who really wants to get their chocolate fix without having to deal with eating pounds of sugar.
The recipe makes a small sized cake, however it’s really rich so the cake will easily feed about ten people, when serving it be sure not to cut huge slices because no one will be able to finish their servings. The directions are pretty straight forward but I can’t stress enough that putting dates into the average food processor is a task in and of itself. Dates so extremely sticky and are difficult to separate, so take your time and add them in little by little.
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked in filtered water for 1 hour and drained
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 &1/2 cup raw almonds
- Unsalted ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw agave nectar
- Place the pitted dates, 2 tbsp raw cacao powder, cashews and hazelnuts in the food processor and mix until well blended.
- Spread the mixture in a small baking pan an press it down with your fingers or a spoon.
- Place the almonds in the food processor and mix to obtain peanut butter (it should take about 10-12 minutes, pausing every minute to not overrun the machine; the texture will go all the way from coarsely chopped, to crumbly, finely ground and butter).
- Add the bananas, agave nectar, coconut oil and 2 tbsp raw cacao powder to obtain a smooth cream.
- Pour the banana cream on top of the date base and spread evenly.
- Cover with a plastic foil and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator, sprinkle with raw cacao powder and serve.